Manitoba Telecom says president of Allstream division to leave on Jan. 17

0

WINNIPEG – Manitoba Telecom Services Inc. (TSX:MBT) says the president of its MTS Allstream division is stepping down on Jan. 17 to pursue other interests, following 17 years with the company.

Allstream president Dean Prevost will be replaced by the division’s chief operating officer, Michael Strople, who has been with the company since 2005.

Prevost is the second senior executive to depart Allstream since the federal government blocked a deal in October to sell the operations to an Egyptian group for $520 million.

Chief corporate officer Chris Peirce, who had been with the company since it was known as AT&T Canada, retired on Dec. 31.

MTS chief executive Pierre Blouin said in a statement that Prevost has been a “driving force” behind Allstream’s evolution in the Canadian business telecommunications market.

“He successfully designed and oversaw a number of important strategic and organizational initiatives that have positioned the company to thrive in the years ahead,” Blouin said.

He added Strople has also “been a key player in executing Allstream’s successful strategy over the past few years.”

Federal Industry Minister James Moore cited national security concerns for his decision to stop the sale to Accelero Capital.

Accelero was co-founded by Naguib Sawiris, an Egyptian businessman who was instrumental in financing the start up of small Canadian wireless company Wind Mobile when he headed Orascom Telecom Holding.

Note to readers: This is a corrected story. An earlier version misspelled Prevost’s name and incorrectly stated the number of years he has been with the company.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *