ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. – The Tampa Tribune has a long and storied 123-year history in Florida. It started in 1893, won a Pulitzer in 1966 and in 1999 became one of the first newspapers in the nation to “converge” with a TV station when it shared a newsroom with WFLA. Here is a timeline:
— 1893: Wallace Fisher Stovall moves his existing news operations to Tampa from Bartow. Stovall’s first Tampa Morning Tribune debuts on March 27, 1893.
— 1895: Stovall begins the Tampa Tribune, a daily newspaper.
— 1925: Stovall sells the paper to a group of Florida businessmen.
— 1927: A Florida land boom goes bust and the businessmen sell the paper for $900,000. The owner later forms The Tribune Company, which includes The Chicago Tribune.
— 1958: The Tribune Company buys the Tampa Daily Times, an evening newspaper.
— 1966: Both papers bought by Richmond Newspapers and the company acquired WFLA-TV.
— 1966: The Tribune wins a Pulitzer for local investigative specialized reporting.
— 1969: The company was renamed Media General.
— 1982: The final edition of the Tampa Daily Times was printed.
— 1999: The paper becomes one of the first in the nation to “converge” with a TV station when it shares a newsroom with WFLA.
— 2012: Media General sells the Tribune for $9.5 million to Revolution Capital Group, a private equity investment group. “Asked if the plan was to buy, cut costs and resell the Tribune, Revolution founder and managing partner Robert Loring said it was not. “We are definitely in this for the long haul,” he told the paper at the time.
— 2015: The newspaper sells its downtown Tampa building for $17.75 million.
— May 2: The Tampa Bay Times, the Tribune’s main competitor, announces it has bought the Tribune for an undisclosed amount of money.