KINSHASA, Congo – Congo’s government says it has suspended consideration of a reform to the country’s 2002 mining code, as a group of civil society organizations called on them to revisit the changes.
Congo’s Mines Minister Martin Kabwelulu said Thursday the government will eventually revisit the proposed reform submitted to Parliament last year and meant to tighten environmental regulations and increase revenue.
The group of 42 organizations asked the government not to abandon reform under pressure from mining companies lobbying against it because they might lose some tax benefits.
Congo has vast mineral resources that have caused violence in the east among rebel groups vying for control.
Swiss mining company Glencore also announced Thursday a third body was recovered after a landslide at the KOV open pit copper mine Tuesday.