News

Crown seeks maximum penalty of 10 years for three convicted in Cinar case

MONTREAL – The Crown prosecutor in the $120-million Cinar fraud case is asking a judge to sentence the three accused to the maximum penalty of 10 years in prison.

Matthew Ferguson said in court Friday the crimes tarnished Canada’s reputation in international markets and that there are countless victims of the three men.

Ronald Weinberg, whose Cinar animation company created popular children’s shows such as “Arthur” and “Caillou,” was found guilty last week of illegally diverting the firm’s funds to himself.

A jury convicted Weinberg and former financial advisers John Xanthoudakis and Lino Matteo on most of the charges they faced.

Weinberg’s lawyer, Annie Emond, told the judge she thought a more appropriate sentence would be five years.

The fraud took place between 1998 and 2000.

Sentencing arguments will continue next week.