LOS ANGELES, Calif. – The creators of “SimCity” are hoping players don’t move on after connectivity issues plagued the game’s launch last week.
The updated entry in the 24-year-old metropolis-building franchise released last Tuesday requires players to be online — even if they’re constructing virtual cities in the single-player mode. Several gamers weren’t able to log on after “SimCity” launched, prompting some retailers to stop selling the Electronic Arts Inc. game.
Lucy Bradshaw, general manager at “SimCity” developer Maxis, said more people logged on than the developers anticipated and they’ve been increasing server capacity since the snafu.
Bradshaw said EA would give players a free PC game to compensate for the hassles. Players who registered copies of “SimCity” will receive details on how to download the free game March 18.