PetSmart fined for not reporting injury-causing fish bowls

NEW YORK, N.Y. – PetSmart will pay a $4.25 million civil fine for not quickly reporting defective fish bowls that caused serious injuries at least a dozen times.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission said Monday that injuries included deep cuts requiring stitches and severed tendons that required surgery after bowls cracked or shattered.

The pet products retailer sold the bowls under the “Grreat Choice” and “Top Fin” brands from March 2010 through September 2013.

The CPSC says the Phoenix company will also work on improving compliance with consumer safety laws.