News

Suit: Man 'cooked alive' by building's faulty heating system

NEWARK, N.J. – A New Jersey family says in a lawsuit that an 82-year-old man was “cooked alive” by a faulty heating system in the senior apartment building where he lived.

NJ.com reports (http://bit.ly/23uMsKQ) the lawsuit filed April 21 says Neal DiNapoli’s body temperature was about 108 degrees when he was found motionless in his Bloomfield home in December.

His wife was also passed out when their grandson found them, but she survived.

The lawsuit says the heating system couldn’t determine it was in hot water mode when the couple attempted to cool their apartment on a warm day.

A representative from the management company, R.P. Marzulli Co., Inc., says it doesn’t comment on pending litigation.

The family’s counsel says they hope the lawsuit will lead to protections for other senior citizens.

___

This story has been corrected to show that Neal DiNapoli and his wife were found by their grandson, not their son.

___

Information from: NJ Advance Media.