News

The Latest: Pipeline protesters sue after clash with police

BISMARCK, N.D. – The Latest on the protest against the Dakota Access oil pipeline (all times local):

11:15 a.m.

Several Dakota Access pipeline protesters are suing Morton County, the city of Mandan and North Dakota law enforcement officials, arguing their civil rights were violated during a clash with authorities earlier this month.

The National Lawyers Guild’s Water Protector Legal Collective filed the lawsuit Monday in North Dakota federal court. The lawsuit alleges Morton County Sheriff Kyle Kirschmeier and others used excessive force against protesters on Nov. 20 at a blockaded bridge on a state highway.

Authorities used tear gas, rubber bullets and sprayed water at protesters they say assaulted officers with rocks and burning logs. Organizers said at least 17 protesters were taken to the hospital, some for hypothermia and one for a serious arm injury. Authorities say one officer was injured.

The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages.

___

5:40 a.m.

Neil Young is calling on President Barack Obama “to step in and end” what he calls the “violence” against protesters demonstrating against an oil pipeline being built in North Dakota near an Indian reservation.

In an open letter on Facebook posted Monday, the 71-year-old rock star calls the protest at the Standing Rock Indian Reservation “an awakening.” He says demonstrators are “standing strong in the face of outrageous, unnecessary and violent aggression.” He says law enforcement agencies and the National Guard are “seemingly acting to protect the interests of the Dakota Access Pipeline profiteers” with taxpayer money.

Young also chided President-elect Donald Trump, labeling him the “surprise president.”

The letter is signed by Young and his girlfriend, actress Daryl Hannah.

Young included a video of him singing against the backdrop of the protest camp.

___

This story has been corrected to show that the pipeline is being built near the reservation, not on it.