MIAMI – The U.S. military has shut down wireless internet service at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base in Cuba because of online hacking threats.
A spokesman for the Guantanamo Bay prison says that officials have also blocked access to social networks such as Facebook and Twitter through military computer networks because of the threat.
Army Lt. Col. Samuel House says the precautions were taken because of online threats to disrupt activities at the base allegedly made by the international hacking group Anonymous. No disruptions have been reported so far.
The group had called for a global protest because of the ongoing hunger strike by prisoners protesting their conditions and indefinite confinement at the U.S. base. As of Monday, the military said 103 of the 166 prisoners were on strike.