MEDICINE HAT, Alta. – A man has died following an ammonia leak at a southern Alberta nitrogen plant.
Lauren Welsh with Alberta Occupational Health and Safety says a second man who was exposed to the leak on Monday has been released from hospital.
She says both men were contractors with Aluma Systems and were weather-proofing the outside of a large ammonia tank at Canadian Fertilizer Inc. in Medicine Hat.
It’s believed a piece of equipment struck a valve on the tank and caused the leak.
The company has said the leak was quickly contained and the men were taken to hospital.
The name of the man who died has not been released.
The site remains shut down while officials investigate.