It’s not difficult to come up with catchphrases that express the outstanding nature of the firms on this year’s PROFIT 200 ranking of Canada’s Fastest-Growing Companies. “Heroes for hard times.” “Role models for the recovery.” “The new stars of Canadian business.” “200 enterprises packed with awesomeness.” (Okay, that last one is a bit embarrassing. But we have younger readers to consider.)
No matter how you describe them, the PROFIT 200 are among the most dynamic and exciting organizations in Canada. They’re the Olympians of the entrepreneurial sector, in the top 100th of the top percentile of all businesses when growth is measured. While the economy expanded by 9% over the past five years, the PROFIT 200 firms grew by an average of 1,464%. In 2010, their sales exceeded $26.6 billion.
But all those superlatives and eye-popping numbers don’t do Canada’s Fastest-Growing Companies full justice. They’re not only dynamic and exciting; in punching well above their weight, they’re crucial to the Canadian economy, present and future. Here’s how:
• They’re trailblazers and innovators:
Although for-profit enterprise isn’t usually credited with making the world a better place, creating and delivering valuable products and services is a key function of business. Scan the PROFIT 200 tables and you’ll find dozens of unique, breakthrough or best-in-class offerings that are improving the lot of people, businesses and other organizations that support our communities.
• They’re taking on the world:
PROFIT 200 firms generated $20.9 billion of their 2010 sales in foreign markets—up from just $2.4 billion in 2005. Their export success is great for Brand Canada and inspiration for domestic companies that could go global if only they tried.
• They’re job creators extraordinaire:
From 2005 through 2010, the PROFIT 200 created 56,000 jobs. And, judging from the employment perks and incentives offered by PROFIT 200 companies — not to mention the positive buzz and energy that abounds in fast-moving firms — these jobs are good jobs.
For all that, the PROFIT 200 deserve to be recognized and celebrated. At PROFIT, we’re proud to lead the cheer.
We’re looking for more winners
Even as we publish the PROFIT 200, we are calling for entries for three other awards and rankings programs that can give your business positive (and free) publicity, plus other valuable benefits. Please check them out and get involved!
• FuEL Awards: Recognizing Canada’s best young entrepreneurs, our new awards program seeks nominations, applications and even your votes. What’s your role? Visit fuelawards.ca to learn more.
• PROFIT W100: Our ranking of Canada’s Top Female Entrepreneurs shines the spotlight on the country’s best woman business owners. Honourees also get an invitation to the exclusive W100 Idea Exchange.
• PROFIT HOT 50: Our annual celebration of Canada’s Top New Growth Companies culminates in PROFIT’s highly anticipated GrowthCamp.
We hope to hear from you soon.