Will you relax this weekend? If you’re like most entrepreneurs, the answer is probably no. When you work for yourself, it’s hard to take a break. And when you work tirelessly during the week, it can be hard to slow down and disconnect even if you want to.
But consider that some of the most successful professionals say knowing how to drop work has been imperative to their success. Along with keeping stress low, they find they can step back and look at the big picture when they take a breather, says Forbes.com.
To help, Forbes posted a list of 14 activities successful people do on weekends and vacations. Here’s a summary of that list:
1. Make time for family and friends. This is especially relevant to those who work crazy hours during the week.
2. Exercise. It’s better than coffee at clearing your head and sparking great ideas.
3. Pursue a passion. Fuel your creative process.
4. Vacation. Get out of town.
5. Disconnect. Avoid email—in fact, turn off your computer altogether. No television. No screens of any kind.
6. Volunteer. Bonus: this can turn out to be a great way to network in a less sales-focused setting.
7. Avoid chores. The weekend is not for to-do lists!
8. Plan. Just because you don’t have a to-do list, doesn’t mean you need to stay home and do nothing. Make some plans that don’t involve work tasks.
9. Socialize. This is as important as exercise. Humans need interaction in order to feel good.
10. Gardening/crafts/games/sports/cooking/cultural activities. You’re free from the office. Get outside.
11. Network. No matter where you are, you’re still making connections.
12. Reflect. This is the time to think about life’s bigger issues, rather than your never-ending list of chores that need doing ASAP.
13. Meditate. If that’s your thing.
14. Recharge. Peak performance requires downtime.
In short, just relax. It will make you more productive in the long run.