Square's New Toronto Office
Square, the current Twitter CEO’s other company, opened its first Toronto office last week. This will be the mobile payment company’s second office in Canada, after its first in Waterloo from 2012.
Twitter cofounder Jack Dorsey founded Square back in 2009 in San Francisco. Last November, he took the company public in a $2.9 billion IPO. Square has been slowly rolling out its products in different markets, and now has offices running in Tokyo and Melbourne, Australia. Canada is “a major opportunity for us,” says Cathy Vigrass, the head of Square Canada.
Square’s Canadian outpost is in North Toronto. There, the core hardware engineering team works on the chip-enabled card readers that Square's global clients use to take payments, while its smaller business and IT teams handle the software side. The space can accommodate 60 people, and Vigrass intends to hire more staff within the next year.
MORE OFFICE SPACE TOURS:
- Google Canada plans for growth with a new Kitchener headquarters
- How Industrial Light & Magic brought Star Wars to life in Vancouver
- How G Adventures aims to keep staffers thinking creatively
- How FreshBooks makes leadership decisions transparent—literally
- How Facebook Canada’s office encourages “constructive eavesdropping”