Right or wrong, no entrepreneur believes his company is a bad place to work. But does your company really deliver what today’s best employees want? Take this true-false test to find out:
Answer True (T) or False (F) to each of the following questions:
Does your company…
1. Offer work and/or a product that creates excitement, pride and a sense of accomplishment among employees?
2. Communicate frequently, honestly and openly about the business with employees?
3. Provide clear direction on how individuals and groups contribute to the business?
4. Acknowledge a job well done with fair bonuses (at least 5% of salary), awards or simple thank yous?
5. Solicit and, when appropriate, act on employee suggestions?
6. Offer salaries and benefits that are competitive with those of people in similar roles at other companies?
7. Clearly communicate opportunities for advancement and employ a fair selection process?
8. Educate employees on how they can receive greater compensation?
9. Reside in an easily accessible location close to popular amenities?
10. Offer job flexibility in forms such as customized work hours, job sharing, reduced workweeks, sabbatical programs and telecommuting?
Take one point for each “True” response. The higher you score, the greater your chances of attracting and retaining good employees.