Sure, all accountants pass the same exams. But credentials alone don’t ensure a good fit with your firm.
Take this true/false test to find out how right your provider — current or prospective — is for you.
1. Provides options and/or tax savings (e.g., ideas for cutting costs) that cover a portion of the accountant’s fees.
2. Offers experience and resources that match the size and sophistication of my firm.
3. Has committed to serving my firm for three to five years.
4. Is willing to join my advisory board (where professionally appropriate).
5. Has significant experience with my industry and any sector-specific accounting rules.
6. Answers my questions within one business day.
7. Is well regarded by my banker/lawyer, who can recognize strong financial statements and reports.
8. Takes an active interest in my business by visiting my premises or calling me at least quarterly.
9. Has my trust and makes me feel at ease.
Scorecard The more “true” answers, the better the fit. Thinking about changing? Interview no fewer than three candidates.
Source: Ed Scheck, Hogg, Shain & Scheck Chartered Accountants, Toronto