Mike McDerment is the CEO of FreshBooks, a cloud-based accounting software service. The company is all set to launch a mobile card reader to compete with Square. (McDerment also showed us around FreshBooks’ Toronto office earlier this year). Here’s what McDerment says he learned in 2015.
We’re trying to build a global technology company in Toronto, and we’ve realized we actually have a lot of people-building to do. It’s not like we’re based in Silicon Valley and there are hundreds of thousands of people around who have already worked at Google.
So this was a year when we focused on leadership building—setting expectations that our ability to lead is going to be a difference marker for us, and here are the characteristics we can work on and develop as leaders. It’s critical to competing, frankly.
MORE ON EXECUTIVE DEVELOPMENT:
- What It Takes to Build Internal Talent »
- Why You Could Be Promoting the Wrong People »
- 3 Crucial Steps to Installing a Worthy Successor »
- Why You Shouldn’t Necessarily Promote Your Best Employees »
- Who Will Replace Your Essential Employees? »
How are you developing leaders within your company? Let us know by commenting below.