Whether you’re a man who has time for only a quick wash and shave in the morning, or you indulge in an extra cream or gel here or there, here are the shave, scrub, and soothing products you need to know about right now.
1. LAB Series Daily Moisture Defense Lotion SPF 15. A product with decades-long devotees, this moisturizer is lightweight enough for everyday use and contains antioxidants to minimize fine lines and protect against smoke and pollutants. $54 at Holt Renfrew
2. LAB Series Maximum Comfort Shave Cream. Rich and creamy, this is the ideal pre-shave product for those who like to lather it on thick before they go bare. $18.50 at Holt Renfrew
3. Jack Black Beard Lube Conditioning Shave. This shave “lube” is lightweight, clear—so you can see where you’re shaving—and contains moisturizing jojoba and refreshing eucalyptus. $12 at Holt Renfrew
4. L’Oréal Men Expert Hydra Energetic X Moisturizing Fluid. A patented shot of taurine (a common ingredient in energy drinks) and vitamin C in this new formula hydrates, detoxifies the skin and reduces puffiness, lines and ashy tones. $16 at drugstores
5. Dermalogica Daily Clean Scrub. Used before you shave, this exfoliant helps you get your blade closer to your skin by removing surface debris. Or use it at night so you can go to bed feeling squeaky clean. $33 at www.dermalogica.ca
6. Dermalogica Super Sensitive Shield SPF 30. A dose of UltraCalming Complex helps calm sensitive or allergy-prone skin, while broad-spectrum SPF helps reinforce fragile skin-barrier lipids. $54 at www.dermalogica.ca
7. Acqua di Parma Colonia Collezione Barbiere razor & brush. Boasting a wenge-wood-and-burnished-brass handle and fine Italian craftsmanship, this razor-and-brush line is dedicated to the art of shaving. (Relax: the razor can be used with Gillette Mach 3 blades.) $353 for the razor, and $398 for the pure badger-hair shaving brush, both at Holt Renfrew
8. Mühle After Shave Lotion Sandalwood. New this season, this soothing lotion from German brand Mühle contains essential oils of Indonesian sandalwood, as well as coriander and star anise for a woodsy, warm scent. $40 at Harry Rosen
9. Consonant Body Ultra Moisturizing Organic Face Cream for Dry Skin. Unisex, ethical and formulated in Canada, this non-greasy cream absorbs quickly into skin while grape seed oil helps protect against future damage. $54 at www.beautymark.ca
10. Acqua di Parma Colonia Collezione Barbiere emollient shaving gel. Creamy, with a rich, soft lather, this gel contains natural grapevine, lemon balm, and water mint extracts to protect and refresh the skin and reduce shave burn. $72 at Holt Renfrew
11. Mühle Shaving Soap Sandalwood. This shaving soap comes in an elegant wooden box and offers a masculine, gentle scent, and warm and sensual feel—ideal, perhaps, for evening and special occasion shaves. $38 at Harry Rosen
A good sunscreen is your best defence against lines and wrinkles, year-round. Here are two key factors to look for in a good sunscreen:
1) SPF 50+ should be the highest SPF number printed on a bottle, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, which is moving to eliminate higher ratings. “Data isn’t sufficient enough to prove that anything higher than 50 is that much more effective,” explains Amanda Matcham, a Toronto-based skin therapist at the International Dermal Institute. While this may not yet affect Health Canada–governed companies, you can rest assured that your SPF 30 is good enough.
2) While sunscreen ratings traditionally relate to UVB radiation, which causes sunburn, the FDA has also designed a protocol for UVA radiation, which penetrates the skin more deeply. Starting in June, only sunscreens that protect equally against both UVA and UVB can be labelled “broad spectrum.” (Currently, some products say “broad-spectrum” but offer minimal UVA protection.) “Sunblocks” and “waterproof” items, which overstate their effectiveness, will also disappear from shelves.